My green and gold warp finally made it to the loom and I have completed two of the four mug rugs woven in doubleweave pick-up.  The goal was to chart cross-stitch celtic knots and designs on graph paper and translate it to weaving.  Here’s the results so far.

I’m pretty pleased with the design and the fact that I was able to pull off the translation to a chart.  Hope to get this project done over the weekend.

I saw a book on-line that charts Viking designs found by archeologists for knitters.  They are very similar to the celtic designs I’ve found including many forms of knots.  Makes sense.  The Vikings spent centuries murdering and pillaging the celtic world.  At least they left an artistic legacy in their destructive wake!

Advertisements